In great contrast to the States, I value Germany's innumerable markets that are located right around the corner from family's homes. In Nürnberg my Aunt and Uncle's home is about a block away from the bakery they use. When visiting, every day I am sent to buy fresh bread for breakfast or lunch. I love this because I can walk there or ride one of their bikes (which they, being 70, still ride their bikes almost everywhere) in a few minutes with one of their totes (or die Einkaufstasche). I would love if in the States we would be able to do this. It is almost an ideal vision... walking to the market with einen Einkaufskorb and buying fresh breads, meats and milk and walking onto the next to buy some beautiful flowers for the weekend. The idea that I could be able to do this, I should be able to do this... it is sad that I cannot. I must move to a different city!!
Freitag, 27. Mai 2011
Auf dem Markt
The excerpt in our textbook "Einkaufen" disheartens me so much! I absolutely despise the fact that in the States, at least in most communities, people are unable to walk to a local market or bakery and are unable to walk back to their homes with groceries. People in the States consume foods from Wal-Mart and larger grocery stores, and although these may be more cost-friendly, people are consuming horribly processed foods. And we must drive to these places with our cars.. depending on them for most errands.
Abonnieren
Kommentare zum Post (Atom)
I agree, Natascha, walking einkaufen with your Einkaufskorb or Jutetaschen is great. But, like Emily said, in Ann Arbor it's not too bad either! The only thing I remember here was how desperate I was when I needed to buy new Zahnseide or Aspirin or whatever little item, because that was before the CVS in State St. opened -- so I needed to ask my roommate to go there by car. (Only later I found out that the White Market has some of these things, too.) But since gas is getting more expensive and organic food becomes more popular, I think people started to think different here too.
AntwortenLöschen