ist Ruh, it is peaceful;
in allen Wipfeln in all the treetops
spürest du feel you
kaum einen Hauch; hardly a breath of wind;
Die Vögelein schweigen im walde, the little birds are silent in the forest,
warte nur, balde wait only, soon
ruhest du auch! will rest you also.
I provided a literal translation and underlined the words that I understood without having to look them up.
Ich habe Johann Goethe sehr gern. Er schreibt schöne Gedichte. Ich habe das Gedicht "Über allen Gipfeln ist Ruh" sehr gern. Eines tages will ich es auf Deutsch sagen Dann werde ich Goethe verstehen.
Danke für das Goethe Gedicht! (It is his most famous one.) I think your translation is really good; I'm just not sure whether the english "will rest you also" implies death like the german "ruhen" (like the breath of wind and the human breath before), but I think it does?
AntwortenLöschen