Samstag, 14. Mai 2011

Germany's Konditorei versus America's Steakhouse

When reading "Mealtimes in German-speaking Countries," I instantly wanted to go to my Tantes house in Nürnberg where, every time we first arrive, she has prepared a lovely meal of coffee and cake. The table is always set, whether it is a special occasion or not, with the most beautiful tablecloths and dishes. I love waking up in the mornings at my family's house with Müesli, good milk, preserves, cheeses, breads and the best coffee waiting on the table. I enjoy these moments with my family, I love observing how differently my family acts in Germany versus my friends and other adults here in the States. Table manners for starters, are extremely different! I've never been to an "Outback Steakhouse" serving enormous portions anywhere in Europe. In Germany, we stop a couple times a day at the various Konditoreis... my favorite being the "Müldoner." Here, we sit and converse while sipping on the best cappuccinos and eating the most amazing cakes. The Konditorei is ancient, with petit antique tables and dainty white tablecloths. When I'm with my family in Germany, I never put my elbows on the table nor do I sit without a napkin in my lap without impeccable posture. The volume at which we speak is far softer than in the States. All of these things are great attributes that my foreign family brings out in me. I enjoy my time so much when visiting because I realize how lovely my heritage is... of great taste (sorry for being opinionated) and manner.

1 Kommentar:

  1. I can totally relate to this as well - Once I very much "shocked" my friends in Germany when I was asked to set the table for the afternoon "Kaffee und Kuchen", and I misplaced some of the items (I think, I switched the places for the coffee cups and the cake plates). It was not conceivable to them that a person with a higher education, from a metropolitan town, a good family, speaking German etc.... would NOT know the proper way to complete such a simple everyday task).

    I also do enjoy the beauty of the everyday meals in Germany, and LOVE staying at my friends' houses exactly because of the German breakfast - which is never rushed, always enjoyed and accompanied by wonderful conversations.

    And finally, in all the years here, I have not found words to describe the taste of German coffee to an American person who has never tried it. I think, the best word would be "heavenly". :-)

    AntwortenLöschen