Not only are the European rail systems so convenient, but also when you are traveling throughout a single city, you can go to the metro or to the tube and get off wherever your destination may be... so much more quickly, efficiently and environmentally friendly. I feel like the European countries, especially Germany, are so much more aware of the environment than people are in the States. There is no effort to contribute to our territory... we are quite lazy! In contrast to the States, we have been reading in class how so many Germans are cyclists and use this as their every day transportation instead of cars. Of course there is the issue of how large our country is, but can we not make an effort to use eco-friendly means of transportation and as well to build more subways and rail systems? I think this is so frustrating!
Montag, 16. Mai 2011
Mit der Bahn fahren
I have always wished that in the States we would have a greater amount of rail systems and metros. It is not enough that only in larger, more metropolitan areas of the States, that there is a train or subway. Whether I am in Paris, London or Germany... you can so conveniently get onto the train and travel to numerous countries throughout Europe. There is even the Eurostar train that takes the Channel Tunnel from London to Paris. I have always wanted to take this high speed train that is underground.. (have any of you taken this?)!!
Abonnieren
Kommentare zum Post (Atom)
I agree completely, even though things aren't perfect in Germany either. Train tickets are getting more and more expensive for example (sometimes flying is cheaper) and trains are often late. Also the inter-european train connections often could be better/faster. On the other hand, I also think that chances are good these days that things may improve in the US. I've heard for example that they are thinking about a train connection for Detroit -- true or not, that would be really a great and overdue improvement for the former Motor City!
AntwortenLöschen