My cousins that live in Nürnberg study for quite awhile to be able to be placed into the university in which they wish to attend. Each university is specific in what degrees they offer and what they put emphasis on. Students must take tests in order to be able to get into programs at the universities, such as my cousin Lucia and getting into the specific Medical program she wants to. In the States, we of course take the SAT/ACT exams, but unlike in Germany, at most universities in the States a student may study whatever they wish to at any university. Most universities have a vast array of studies and specializations.
I appreciate being an American with a German heritage. My family has integrated many of the different aspects from both of these cultures into our lives. We celebrate Christmas and open presents always on Christmas Eve, not on Christmas Day (as is traditional in America). We are organic like our family is in Germany. But unlike Germans, we may not always complain and be so absorbed in our own lives and openly discuss this. Rather, we think that this would be selfish in America. I am though very stubborn and proud and I credit these characteristics to my German heritage. There are so many other characteristics that I can claim to this or to being American... I think that it is a great thing to reflect upon these differences and be grateful of where you come from.
I think it is great that you could relate to so many things in the texts selected for the "Kultur"-section. Many of them are of course based on stereotypes, but at the same time, these texts often very well highlight (and explain) some differences between Germany and other countries that do stand out if you visit the country or communicate with people from Germany.
AntwortenLöschenI can also remember that when I first went to Germany, I often got startled by people (even not really familiar ones) commening directly and without any hesitations on any good or bad things that looked interesting to them: how good/bad my German was, how wrong things were going in Russia and other countries etc.
For me it was even a double shock, because in Russia, people are not only avoiding commenting directly on bad things (like here in the US), but also on the good things (in order not to "jinx" it). So, the text on the German directness is for me also the one I could very much relate to.
I agree with Vera's comment, it's really great and interesting that you share your thoughts on your both backgrounds with us!
AntwortenLöschenI can also relate to the experience that Germans are often more "absorbed" in their own lives, as you write. And also, living in a wealthier and at the same time smaller country, sometimes perhaps they ty a bit too hard to hold their possesions together… Or is this just another prejudice?
What do you think about that, Vera?
Sorry that I am responding so late to Niko's question!
AntwortenLöschenI think it has to do more with the notion of "politeness" - what is a normal/neutral politeness in a given culture. Here in the US, a polite thing to do appears to be to keep strangers "happy" - you smile at people on the street, in the elevator, you have small talk with people in the line at the register etc. In Germany, it appears to me, it is polite not to bother a person if you don't have any "further interest" in them. It is polite not to start a conversation with a stranger if there are no future plans to get closer. And this doesn't mean any type of hostility or unfriendliness, it is just what is expected and polite. I used to really like it till I got used to the American norms (and FINALLY got a bit of an idea what a "small talk" is about). Now I do feel a little awkward in Germany when there could be a number of people stuck in one place, who just wait silently for whatever they are there for - no chatting, no small talk.
V.