Mittwoch, 18. Mai 2011

Forthright Germans

Despite the writer's opinions of Germans and their supposed lack of etiquette when loading the subway and walking down the streets, I felt in a weird sense, glad of this article's content. I have always felt that the Mid-Western peoples and of other places are in some way too afraid to be less polite than they are... needing to find assurance from others constantly. I feel that it is necessary in life to operate as the individuals do in Deutschland. In so many ways I feel empowered when I can walk onto the subway or on the streets with fierce eye contact and movement... the adrenaline of fending for yourself when boarding the metro in Paris during rush hour... the power of walking down a street with confidence and self-will... in a way, you should not say "Entschuldigung" or "I'm sorry!" when in contact with another person (besides a person of older age). We live in a world where we should fend for ourselves, to become powerful on our own, to be independent and forthright and in a great sense, this 'rudeness' that most Germans demonstrate is an approach to this. It is stern and unsympathetic... but it's powerful.

Is this cold and heartless? Maybe not... we do have respect for the people we should... any person who is more advanced in years. I feel like reading over what I just wrote may be seen as a bit wrong, that we will get nowhere in advancing our society if we become entirely selfish and in-compassionate... I can see this side entirely as well. SO... I may side with being an 'intrinsically rude German' one day stepping onto the subway and on another to become a bit more polite while walking down the street.

1 Kommentar:

  1. :-) You can see my comment about the changes in my "personal space" as I travel from country to country that I left in response to Austin's post on "Entschuldigung"

    AntwortenLöschen