Sonntag, 5. Juni 2011

Draftophobia

The articles on the fear of moving air and medicine were hilarious, but I must admit I don't think the Germans are so far out of left field. Of course germs are transported in moving air - but they are transported on our bodies too. Being in close quarters with people ensures passing around a lot of germs and viruses. Honestly, when I lived in New York and took public transportation every day I was sick constantly. Since I moved to Ann Arbor I haven't been sick once. And I get the fear of antibiotics. It's the same concept as chemo - you kill the cancer, but you kill a lot of healthy cells too. With antibiotics you kill germs that cause colds and flus, but there is also concern that we are setting the stage for really powerful bacteria. I personally think a little bit of sickness is an important part of building a strong body. But that's neither here nor there. The point of these articles is that our perception of illness is completely culturally conditioned. In my childhood, being sick meant lying in bed with orange juice, ginger ale and a stack of Saltines. To the point that when I get sick now, I actually crave these things. Logically I know that carbonated sugar water and white flour are not going to heal me. But it's all about what I think works, and that's probably all that matters.

3 Kommentare:

  1. Well, I am with Germans on that. And I don't think it is actually the fear of moving bacteria, but the fear of the moving air that is going to cool down a part of your body to the point of sickness (go ahead... laugh). When we come to a restaurant here in the US, and I start looking around searching for something, my husband always has to ask: "What? A "deadly draft" again? :-)

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. With the moving air I don't know, but I know a lot of families (including mine) who think that 'chemical' medicine is evil and should be taken only if you are really in pain/danger.

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. By the way, does anyone know why we already have 5 (fünf) "Kultur Texte 8" ?!

    AntwortenLöschen