Sonntag, 5. Juni 2011

German Air

The Germans are seeming quirkier and quirkier to me as I learn more throughout this class. This whole "draftophobia" thing seems akin to flat out superstition. Additionally, it is not called "draftophobia." There is, in fact, a term for the fear of drafts and wind. It is called Anemophobia or Ancraophobia. A little breeze certainly never hurt anyone and, in many cases, can do a person some good. I would be inclined to believe that stuffy, sweltering heat would cause more health risk than a pleasant breeze. I suppose we're probably pretty spoiled by air conditioning here in the states, though. I may be wrong, but I've heard that Europeans are not as big on AC as we are. This, coupled with the German affinity for saunas, certainly must lend itself to their willingness to weather the heat.
Another thing I find curious is that they avoid the drafts to prevent a long list of ailments, but the country is notorious for strange sicknesses like acute hearing loss and Kreislaufzusammenbruch. These isolated illnesses seem to occur regardless of their attempts to avoid a draft. I suppose it could be working to save the lives of millions. Perhaps theres something to be said about avoiding moving air.

1 Kommentar:

  1. Thanks for the terminology, Austin! Now I can sound much smarter when I defend myself against all the "non-believers" into the danger of drafts! See my comment on Emily's reaction to the draftophobia - As I mentioned, I totally subscribe to the dangers of being "blown through", and I do get sick - whether thanks to any quirky scientific thing, or due to my blind belief of moving air. I will never own a convertible :).

    And despite of the fear of drafts - you won't feel any stuffy air in German houses, as everybody is very big on opening the windows and airing out houses and rooms whenever possible. Preferably, when no one is in the room, and for a quick infusion of fresh air. It is the fear of a small leaking airy stream that freaks people out - e.g. from sitting for a long time between a window that is cracked open, and a door that has a gap on the bottom.

    AntwortenLöschen