Montag, 13. Juni 2011

Quiet Sundays

I couldn't help but be reminded of my quaint home town and Interlochen as well when reading "Sorry, We're Closed." In the rigidly conservative, football-loving town of Marshall, Michigan, if it's after about 5, you can forget about going to any store that is not a fast food restaurant, gas station, or bar. Luckily first two are quite abundant due to the intersection of I-94 and I-69 happening in the middle of town. However, things can still be pretty frustrating if you're trying to fill a prescription or shop at any of the stores in the downtown area. This is all just on the weekdays though. On Sundays, it's even worse. The town has not gone so far as to enact a ban on truck driving on Sundays, but I suppose since everything else is closed, they may as well. It might be kind of nice.

As irritating as it may be to be left to fend without certain commodities one day a week, it's kind of nice to be forced to relax. I don't necessarily care about religious reasons for the day off, but I do think it's important that people take a second (or a day) every now and then to breathe. There is no reason to be on 100% of the time. No one wants to burn out.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen